Thursday, April 07, 2011

Work Work Work

I have been slack in taking in progress photos as my sentinels develop, mainly because I am just working and working. I intend to make six and I am working on number 5 at the moment so i feel like I may actually get there if I leave the hand stitching to do when i travel to Syria next week. All together if i add all the quilts together they measure 4.5 metres wide by 170 cm long- that is an awful lot of quilting, and my back and shoulders are feeling it.

However the sewing time also gives me time to think about  what i want to say with the sentinels and the badges I want to make for them. They are  developing their own presences- much like a fictional character might  for a novelist  of a book.It's exciting - because things change  quite quickly , what i thought  would happen changes and adapts, and emerges as something different . The photo that follows is  something I will develop into a badge- it speaks small creatures making bigger things...the photo is small because the  thing I scanned was tiny- can you guess what it is ?- I have worked with it before and i think it is perfect for my blue sentinel.

And the sentinel  stencil is changing- in surprising ways - I am actually thinking I might make her into lace
 ( but I am not sure I will have time at this stage). I do intend to make more sentinels but will make some changes to the stencil- more ideas have popped up as I have worked.

3 comments:

Rachel said...

Large projects do tend to take on a life of their own, don't they!

ann vanherle said...

Ik wens je een heerlijke reis naar Syrie en vind het prachtig de Sentinelle werken te zien groeien.groetjes ann

ann vanherle said...

Ik wens je een heerlijke reis naar Syrie en vind het prachtig de Sentinelle werken te zien groeien.groetjes ann