Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Back to Work!


Sunflower
I wish I could say I had been productive on the weekend in a fibre way- but apart from dyeing 6 damask napkins which I got at Chilford, and tieing another napkin, I seem to have spent the weekend in a social whirl interspersed by a few walks and bouts of cooking. The garden is so full of produce that I decided we should sell some at our front gate and the wheelbarrow shows some of the things we sold. We don't actually live on a main road, but people do come past to go to one of the camping grounds in the forest.

It has just been full moon the tomatoes have gone crazy and I have a seriously delicious recipe for slowroasting them from The Paris Cookbook by Patricia Wells. It is so simple and absolutely delicious when you have garden fresh tomatoes and can be used as is, or as part of a pasta sauce, added to ratatouille or any other dish requiring tomatoes ( it is sublime on toasted home made bread). Here goes; Peel tomatoes ( it is easy to peel them if you first soak the whole tomato in boiling water- the peel will simply slip of after about 5 minutes)- quarter the tomatoes into a baking tray. Fill the tray with tomatoes in a single layer and then sprinkly a small amount of icing sugar and salt and some basil or other herb and drizzle with olive oil - bake in an oven for about 3 hours at the lowest temperature setting , giving it an occasional stir and voila you have a dish fit for a king. I haven't tried freezing it ( it doesn't last that long here) but you can store it in the fridge for about a week especially if you put a film of olive oil over the top.

Today I need to get cracking on fibre things again- and find some kind of rhythm.

No comments: