Tuesday, January 25, 2005

If Hundertwasser Had Lived in the Otways


If Hundertwasser Had Lived in the Otways Posted by Hello
I made this quilt last year to enter in the Husqvarna Viking contest
but did not get it finished in time. The 2005 entry forms are available by following the links I have given. I love the art work of Hundertwasser and am particularly intrigued by how he uses lines of colours to create much of his imagery. Whilst i did not use lines of colour as such I used lines of stitching, in coloured threads and stitched most lines several times.
Back to writing the catalogue for my lace exhibition which is taking longer than I thought it would- as each piece of lace has a story to tell.It is sometimes strange how creating work changes and then comes back to the starting point but in a different form. I wanted to tell the story of migration and dislocation , made a hand made book in which to write the story as I could not think of it in any other way at that moment- so it became narrative, I then thought, no I don't want to do narrative, I really want to use imagery, and now find that really the imagery I have used is telling narrative though the story widened in the process to stretch back to 1570 and to perhaps stretch into the future.

5 comments:

arlee said...

Oh. i love that piece!!! Very evocative too, in a sense, of your lacework, with the shapes and spacing. How big is the finished work?

Diane Perin said...

I love this quilt. Very bright and evocative. Thanks for sharing it!

Melody Johnson said...

I am crazy for Hunderwasser and refer to his work often for inspiration. Yours is a wonderful quilt, and I love the landscape with floating elements (leaves?) above the surface. The color is so beautiful and it helps to know that you dyed it too, I believe. I am indoors freezing and your Aussie hot summer is so inviting. Best wishes on your continued success.
Melody@mcihispeed.net

Nicky said...

Great quilt. Love the colours and the imagery. One of my fave artists too.

Elle said...

This is a beautiful quilt!